Dohrniphora sexspinosa, Kung & Brown, 2006
treatment provided by
Dohrniphora sexspinosa new species
Dohrniphora sexspinosa is easily distinguished from other Dohrniphora species by its six scutellar setae, and close group of six ventrobasal peg-like setae. D. sexspinosa keys to D. scutellaris in Borgmeier’s 1960 key because of the presence of six scutellar setae, but the arrangement and number of the ventrobasal peg-like setae on the hind femur differs. (See Diagnosis section of D. seriata .)
Male. Mean body length 2.44 mm; range 2.12–2.72 mm. Mean frontal ratio 0.50; range 0.48–0.51. Frons and flagellomere 1 orange to brown. Ventral fronto-orbital setae at approximately same level as ventral interfrontal setae. Palpus yellow, with four or five apical setae. Scutum and scutellum light brown. Scutellum with three pairs of scutellar setae. Middle pair approximately 2.5 times length and thickness of other pairs. Anterior and posterior pairs about equal in size. Pleuron yellow. Mean wing length 2.22 mm; range 2.00– 2.41 mm. Mean costal length 0.52 wing length; range 0.49–0.53. Mean costal sector ratio 8.54:3.11:1.00; range 7.67–10.75:2.67–3.75:1.00. Halter white. Legs mostly yellow, except apex of hind femur dark brown, almost black, on anterior and posterior faces. Postcoxal lobes present; yellow, rounded. Posterior face of hind femur ( Figures 17, 18 View Figures 13–18 ) with a group of six peg-like setae at base of ventral margin, basal tooth, and apical tooth, dorsoapical to the group of setae (teeth difficult to see under light microscopy). Hind tibia without isolated setae. Abdominal tergites dark brown, with or without thin yellow line medially. Venter of abdomen yellow. Mean cercus length 0.29 mm; range 0.23–33 mm ( Figures 31, 32 View Figures 23–32 ).
Combination of the Latin words sex and spinosus, referring to the six setae on the posterior face of the hind femur.
Holotype: „. Dominican Republic: Pedernales, 23.5 km N Cabo Rojo , 18.10 ° N, 71.63 ° W, 19–21 July 1990, L. Masner, J. Rawlins, C. Young, intercept trap, deciduous forest, 540 m ( CMNH) [barcode: LACM ENT 219718 View Materials ] GoogleMaps . Paratypes: Dominican Republic: Pedernales, 23.5 km N Cabo Rojo , 18.10 ° N, 71.63 ° W, 2 „, 13–19 July 1990, 1 „, 13–25 July 1990, 6 „, 19–21 July 1990, 4 „, 19–25 July 1990, L. Masner, J. Rawlins, C. Young, intercept trap, deciduous forest, 540 m ( CMNH, LACM) GoogleMaps .
Key to males of Caribbean Dohrniphora
1. Scutellum with four setae................. 2
– Scutellum with six setae................. 4
– Posterior face of hind femur without dorsal setae; ventrobasal region with many (more than 20) long, thick peg-like setae............ 3
3. Flagellomere 1 orange, enlarged ( Figures 21, 22 View Figures 21, 22 ); fore tarsomere 5 dark, broad ( Figure 19 View Figures 19, 20 ); posterior face of hind femur with dark, circular ventral carina apical to ventral setae ( Figures 3, 4 View Figures 1–4 ).......... D. dispar (Enderlein)
– Flagellomere 1 brown, not enlarged; fore tarsomere 5 same colour as rest of leg, not broad ( Figure 20 View Figures 19, 20 ); posterior face of hind femur without carina, but with shallow ventral depression apical to ventral setae ( Figures 5–12 View Figures 5–8 View Figures 9–12 )....................... D. divaricata (Aldrich)
No known copyright restrictions apply. See Agosti, D., Egloff, W., 2009. Taxonomic information exchange and copyright: the Plazi approach. BMC Research Notes 2009, 2:53 for further explanation.